Take the Bite of Your Backyard Barbecue with a Mosquito Trap
Top Ten Tips for Barbecue Bliss:
1. If you want to avoid an onslaught of mosquito bites at your next outdoor gathering, try relaxing on the nearest deck chair. Mosquitoes sense movement and head towards it. When you pant from exertion, the smell of carbon dioxide (C02) from heavy breathing draws them even closer. Mosquitoes can smell their dinner from an impressive distance of up to 50 meters which doesn’t bode well for people emitting large quantities of C02.
2. Lactic acid (secreted by sweat glands) is another mosquito favorite, and is one of the reasons why those people who work up a sweat, waving their arms about to defend themselves will become even more of a target.
3. Diet. Larger people tend to give off more carbon dioxide. This is also why mosquitoes typically prefer munching on adults to small children.
4. Family planning. Pregnant women are also at increased risk as they produce a greater-than-normal amount of exhaled C02. So if you want to spend your summer outdoors put your pregnancy on hold ‘til winter or fall.
5. Some mosquitoes home in on the fragrances in soaps, shampoos and colognes – replace your usual eau de parfum with some eau de Repellent instead. Deet, Cutter Advanced (Picaridin) and Repel are all endorsed by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control.
6. Spray a little permethrin onto your clothing – it’s primarily a fast-acting insecticide and has some repellent activity as well. (However, never apply permethrin directly to the skin)
7. If you or your guests are blonde– consider a hat. There is some research that indicates the reason mosquitoes seem attracted to blondes is that they are more likely to stand out in a crowd. Apparently this applies to redheads as well!
8. Ban dark colors. Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors, not only black, because dark colors absorb heat. Mosquitoes have sophisticated and highly sensitive heat sensors, and tend to be more attracted to victims dressed in black or dark colors for this reason.
9. Stick to wearing light colored clothing which is less attractive to some mosquito species. Long sleeves, long pants as well as shoes and socks will give added protection.
10. Provide mosquitoes with a meal replacement. A mosquito trap that takes advantage of mosquitoes’ sensory abilities by tricking them with features that mimic the smells and visual stimuli associated with people are the most effective. The idea is to make the trap more attractive to a mosquito than a human by emitting Octenol, lactic acid, heat, light, moisture or C02 – or a combination of those to lure mosquitoes. The mosquitoes come in to check out the prospective meal, get sucked in by the fan then trapped in a container where they die.
However, operating your trap for the first time in anticipation of instant results will be disappointing, so don’t set up your new trap on the eve of an outdoor party or BBQ and expect it to keep the mosquitoes away. If you don’t want you or your guests to be a mosquito magnet - plan ahead and operate the trap for several weeks in advance of outdoor social occasions. Source
Mega-Catch™ mosquito traps have been independently and scientifically tested and were developed to provide long term mosquito management. They interrupt the breeding cycle thereby reducing mosquito populations and the risk of exposure to the diseases they carry – helping make your backyard a safer, more enjoyable place over summer.